1. What obstacles in life have you been faced with and why were you nominated for SISTER2sister?
During my early teen years I was bullied in and out of school due to my weight. My education was affected by bullying and the influence of peer pressure. I was nominated for the SISTER2sister program because I wanted to experience other opportunities, meet new friends and have the guidance of a strong female role model.
2. What impact has your Big Sister had on your life? Are you still in contact?
I still am in contact with Gina. We meet up regularly for a coffee, breakfast, lunch or even a movie and dinner. Gina has helped me learn to enjoy life with some laughs. I now try new things and even get off my butt to experience the world and what’s out there. Gina has also helped me to never give up on my dreams and my goals for my future.
3. Did the SISTER2sister program make an impact on your life? If so what impact did it make?
YES. The impact included meeting new people, trying new things that I’d probably never normally try. I also learned the importance of setting and achieving my own goals. During the program, I had the opportunity to try new activities such as white water rafting, canoeing and public speaking.
4. What have you achieved since graduating from the program?
Since graduating I’ve learnt to stand up for myself. I’ve also become my Mother’s primary carer and I plan to study in aged care so that I am able to help my Mother, as well as others in need.
5. Why should people support SISTER2sister?
Because it gives young girls an opportunity to meet a Big Sister role model, and to have guidance from that caring person to help through some of the difficulties throughout life.